The Trash Goes Out On Tuesday Morning

It is wonderful and good to believe that you were meant for better things – but don’t forget to take out the trash on Tuesday morning.  No matter how high your dreams or your aspirations, that is all they will be if you do not continue to maintain the mundane activities of the day-to-day.

Every week on Tuesday morning, our garbage is collected.  It is my job to get it out onto the curb.  I don’t like to do it.  But I have to.  I’ve contemplated not doing it (and even ‘missed’ it a couple of times, truly, on accident) – but it just doesn’t make sense to maintain that sort of pattern for long.  If I don’t take out my trash, I end up with a house full of garbage, and things start to stink, and it’s hard to accomplish anything when you’re dealing with banana peels and orange rinds from last Saturday.

Each day is full of lots of little activities that help keep the gears running smoothly in the great cogs of life.  If we didn’t take care of the mundane things, there’s no way we could ever move on to accomplishing the great things.  Here are a few activities that will (I promise) invite some Karma into your life and make it easier to hit some of your bigger goals:

  • Empty the trash
  • Call your mother
  • Brush your teeth
  • Empty the dishwasher
  • Then fill it
  • Make sure your car has enough oil … and anti-freeze
  • Say hello to your neighbors
  • Bake cookies, and share them
  • Read a good book, with no motive other than to be entertained
  • Wake up early
  • Eat breakfast … slowly
  • Buy a comic book subscription for your son, and read it with him each month
  • Buy flowers for your wife
  • Try ice cream with chocolate syrup and rice krispies sprinkled on top (It’s amazing, I promise)
  • Don’t wait until you need to sell your house to fix all of the things wrong with it
  • Clean your office first, then respond to your Email
  • Walk the dog
  • Play tickle-monster with your 5 year old
  • Put your shoes away and hang up your jacket
  • Save some money for a rainy day
  • Don’t convince yourself that a 42in. plasma TV is necessary to shield you from a rain storm
  • Sweep the garage
  • Go to bed early

Establish good patterns for how the 80% of your time that is on auto-pilot will conduct itself.  Then, utilize the remaining 20% of your time, unfettered, to achieve your higher goals.